To address the GRI's guidelines on G4 principles of sustainability, the Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane Group has started a materiality analysis that summarizes the company's point of view with that of the stakeholders. This analysis makes it possible to identify the "material" aspects, i.e. those that could generate significant economic, social, and/or environmental impacts on the Group and are perceived as of greatest interest for stakeholders in as they affect their expectations and decisions.
With the aim of developing a broader and more systematic stakeholder engagement process, the Group has decided to gather the external and internal feedback on the materiality of sustainability issues for the Group. The final result is represented by the materiality matrix: the upper right corner shows the most significant aspects covered by Sustainability Report.
- Objective 5 - Gender equality
- Diversity & inclusion. We commit ourselves to spread a culture that promotes diversity and inclusion understood as a commitment to the involvement and active participation of all employees, enhancement of career paths independent of gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, and geographical origin; we value an inclusive and merit-based management style.
- Objective 8 - Rewarding work and economic growth
- Customer safety. We are committed to ensuring the highest level of safety for our customers, in any activity that involves risks for travellers and the community, and acting on the culture of risk management and prevention.
- Health and safety at work. We are committed to ensuring the highest level of health and safety in any activity that involves risks to employees; we promote policies and measures aimed at the psycho-physical wellbeing of staff, while seeking integration between work and personal life.
- Responsible management of the supply chain. We encourage our suppliers to improve their environmental performance and, where possible, direct them and support them in their improvement processes.
- Management and development of employees. We are committed to putting the Group's greatest assets at the centre of everyday activities: we guarantee well-being and growth, information and training activities at all levels, and recognize their achievements.
- Ethics and integrity in business. We are committed to spreading a culture inspired by the principles of integrity and transparency.
- Waste and discharge, soil protection, sustainable use of resources. We are committed to minimizing the impact of our activities on the environment, favouring the adoption of LCA logic in all processes, beginning with the design stages, with particular attention to water consumption, waste, and prevention of soil pollution.
- Objective 9 - Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- Sustainable infrastructure management. We are committed to designing and implementing sustainable infrastructures by reducing negative externalities.
- Digital transformation. We are committed to improving the services offered and the integration of people and goods, leveraging technological innovation as an enabling factor.
- Objective 11 - Sustainable cities and communities
- Customer satisfaction. We are committed to implementing a customer-centred organizational logic, taking great care of both the quality and the perceived quality, in order to improve the travel experience.
- Intermodality. We aim to provide a unique, concrete, and simple answer to different mobility needs, presenting ourselves as a point of access to collective mobility, to build a new travel philosophy that guides the customer throughout their journey.
- Objective 13 - Acting with the climate in mind
- Energy efficiency. We are committed to promoting the efficient use of energy resources and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, through the implementation of energy efficient technologies and the promotion of renewable sources.
- Climate change and air quality. We are committed to contributing to the improvement of quality of life and the territories we operate in by developing integrated and efficient mobility systems.
- Objective 17 - Partnership for the objectives
- Stakeholder engagement. We are committed to the pursuit of sustainable development, promoting a systematic process of stakeholder engagement, convinced that the identification and understanding of the needs of our stakeholders and their involvement must be fundamental elements of the Group's decision-making processes through which we can identify opportunities to pursue.