Safety in the workplace
Helath and safety at work in Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane Group
Safety in the workplace and health protection have been imprinted in our history and professional attitude for over a century, as also stated in the Code of Ethics.
Management, personnel, suppliers and contractors are all committed to the highest safety standards to improve the workplace and increase the physical, moral and social wellbeing when working. In this sector we adopt policies aimed at ensuring the highest safety level in every activity, and invest in the risk prevention culture while promoting the quality of the workplace.
In particular our Group is committed to
- encouraging all the Group companies and the suppliers to implement effective safety policies that involve all the workers;
- achieving a substantial and constant reduction in accidents at work, aiming for a “zero accident trend” in the long term;
- managing their activities in full compliance with safety regulations in force;
- introducing coordinated systems to manage and balance safety and the environment;
- improving the employee health protection levels based on the best standards;
- guaranteeing constant scientific and technological updating and the distribution of best practices.
The Group has been constantly committed to safety since its establishment. Significant technological modernisation processes have been undertaken in the operating companies, which have considerably reduced the nature of the risks associated with railway activities.
The following activities in particular were carried out:
- investments in technological innovation for safe train circulation
- introduction of technologies for centralised control of train traffic
- mechanisation of the maintenance activities and continuous renewal of equipment
The Group is determined to maintain its European record for safety through a series of investments to renew the production processes connected with organisational quality. In addition the standards are constantly updated to prevent new risks and the ongoing co-operation with national and international private and public bodies is in place (Enea, ISPESI, CNR).