The Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane Group regards environmental protection as a strategic element in the development of its activities.
This principle leads the Group to manage its activities according to two guidelines:
• the maximisation of the environmental advantages associated with railway transport;
• the minimisation of negative consequences on the environment, as a tangible expression of corporate responsibility.
The Environmental Policy aims to guide all sectors and activities in which Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane Group operates, namely the design, creation and maintenance of works and equipment, infrastructure management, circulation of passenger trains and goods, management of railway stations, parking lots, rail property and the relative support services.
In managing its activities, therefore, the Group is committed to:
• using natural resources in a rational way;
• improving energy efficiency and promoting the use of renewable energy sources;
• reducing emissions of greenhouse gases;
• safeguarding the territory and biodiversity;
• reducing environmental consequences, such as noise emissions, electromagnetic emissions and atmospheric emissions in the ground and water;
• implementing an Environmental Management System for the entire organisation and improving its performance over time;
• contributing to enhance the environmental awareness of the major stakeholders: customers, personnel, suppliers, competitors;
• complying with and - where possible - improving on the regulations and legal provisions at a European, national and regional level.
These commitments, translated by all the Group's companies into measurable targets, are periodically assessed.