Wholly owned by Ferrovie dello Stato Spa, Trenitalia is the company which handles passenger transport and logistics
Founded to meet the needs of the railway industry, Trenitalia focuses on seizing the challenges of the market by placing customers at the centre of its activities. It works to make its industrial organisation increasingly modern and efficient, where productivity, earnings and high quality services are combined with high levels of social and territorial responsibility and environmental sustainability.
These principles are supported by the commitment for a more flexible company, able to update strategies and objectives in short timeframes.
One of the leading railway operators in Europe, everyday Trenitalia manages more than 9,000 trains and each year transports more than half a billion travellers and about 80 million tons of freight. It also has a strong international vocation: a host of commercial agreements with other European railway operators and significant acquisitions of stakes in foreign operators.
It is organised into three business areas and in head offices:
- N/I Passenger Division and Regional Passenger Division, Cargo Division are focused on the development and the overall management of the respective businesses while the Head offices, to support the MD, assume the responsibility of the guidelines and all the authorising and controlling governance.
- The National and International Passenger Division ensures the national and international passenger transportation business, including High Speed. It offers about 71 million trains-km/year. Each year there are 18,000 million passengers-km (Frecce 12,000 million).
- The Operating structure, through Current Maintenance and Production, guarantees the correct programming and management of the transport service, current maintenance services, rolling stock cleaning and purchases in line with the assigned punctuality, regularity and quality targets.
- The Sales, Assistance and Marketing structures control the direct sales (ticket offices), indirect sales (travel agencies) and web (internet web site) channels, the ground assistance services and post-sales processes as well as the marketing activities, from pricing to range definition.
- The Human Resource structure controls the relevant human resource processes.
- The Regional Passenger Division guarantees mobility services at metropolitan, regional and interregional level, suitably addressing the demand from the various territorial entities through the Regional Service Contracts.
- The Division currently offers about 190 million trains-km/year, providing customers with about 7,800 trains a day. To ensure an ever greater territorial penetration, the Regional Passenger Division promotes, together with the local bodies and the other transport companies, forms of modal and tariff integration that facilitate citizens’ movements. The Division is divided into 20 Regional Directorates.